Saturday 13 February 2010

Hearts and chocolates, I suppose

I'm sitting in a pub waiting for Alwi and K to come back form getting Alwi's nose pierced and musing on the conversation we were having earlier.

Alwi has always believed in Valentine's day, and has spent many a day setting up elaborate breakfasts in bed, roses and romantic dinners. She always likes a chance to spoil and get spoiled in return. Until this year. This year she has been spending time with a younger man from her old workplace, Harry, who despite both of their efforts, has not become anything more to her that a casual friend. She had also recently heard the news that her ex, the man that she lived with for four years until he cheated on her, has proposed to the woman he had an affair with. This year, she is determined that her valentines day will be one filled with blood, gore and pretty but brainless men in horror movies.

K, on the other hand is in a new relationship, but takes the other approach: avoid valentines completely. Sadly her new man doesn't have the same approach and is terribly excited about having a girlfriend this year. Begrudgingly and with much complaining, K finally plumped on a card that was simple and sweet without being gushingly romantic.

I on the other hand have always been remarkable apathetic about valentines, but then I have never been in a relationship around valentines day (which says something about my staying power in relationships), and our conversation has me wondering. Why do we allow valentines day to have such a big impact upon our lives? It makes us miserable whether or not we are in a relationship. With pressure in the guise of romance, we are supposed to have an opinion on the day, and if we are single, we are branded as a cynic if we express any doubt at this holiday.

I suppose the question is if I would feel differently if I was in a relationship, and I suppose there is only one way to find out. Until then, I will teach K how to make chocolate truffles for her new man, and I will entertain Alwi with 'My Bloody Valentine' (starring the lovely Jensen Ackles) and chocolate.

Meanwhile I shall stay sitting on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails